We decided a couple years ago the perfect word to describe my dear friend Dominique is WHIMSICAL! She is by far the most creative, free-spirited, fun-loving person I know. Dominique and her equally amazing fiance, Lee, are getting hitched this year. So, a group of her friends and family came together to plan a fitting celebration. When I asked Dom what type of theme she wanted, she requested everyone wear white and we play games in our favorite local park, Coliseum Square. Using shades of cream with gold, burlap and vintage touches, we put together an afternoon "soiree en blanc" with as much whimsy as we could possibly pack in! We sipped champagne under the oak trees, gobbled down desserts and partied until the sun set. It was utterly magical! Here are a few tips if you'd like to create a similar look:
- Set the stage with a homemade pennant. Cut out felt triangles, fold them over a long piece of twine and spell out your message with hot glue and ribbon.
- Use vintage decor. We set up champagne glasses in an old suitcase and piled food inside a large, round basket.
- Create height with levels. Candle holders elevated the flower arrangements. Sometimes I put upside down casserole dishes under the tablecloth as another way to add height.
- Keep your palette simple. We stuck with shades of cream, brown and touches of peach.
- Bring the inside out. Half of the decorations were items I gathered around the house! They look nicer than anything cheap you'd buy at the party store.
- Remember, nothing has to match. Eclectic is key when it comes to a rustic outdoor soiree.
- Don't be afraid to ask guests for help. We requested everyone bring a bottle of their favorite champagne to help cut down on costs.
- Finally, let the planners get creative. We had a rough idea of the overall plan, but everyone added their own unique touch from the burlap wreaths to the blinged-out rings. Even Dom and Lee brought glitter-covered accessories to add to the mix!